Xylotek seeks a Specialist 3d/2d Timber Designer to join our team.
We are a UK-based timber construction company with a unique design offering, currently seeking to expand our capacity to deliver exceptional structures in wood. By combining market-leading depth of knowledge in timber construction with advanced technical and design expertise, we offer bespoke specialist consultancy, production and installation services at all project stages from conception to realisation. Working with clients, architects and engineers at the highest level, Xylotek connects digital design and fabrication techniques with capability in practical delivery, driven by a passionate understanding of the complexities of wood and its potential to improve the built environment.
Who we seek:
We seek a skilled designer who is passionate about innovation in wood architecture. With experience in the fields of architecture, engineering, making or construction. Knowledge of contemporary digital design techniques, current timber-industry construction practices and the ability to produce fully detailed 3D models and 2D drawings, is essential.
The Timber Designer will:
• Develop timber structural and connection details, in liaison with Project Managers and Design Director, for our projects during design development.
• Produce 3d models of timber structures, connections and interface details
• Produce 2d drawings for each project stage, including: arrangement drawings, detail drawings and fabrication drawings.
• Produce fabrication information include files for CADCAM in coordination with the workshop management
• Prepare schedules, drawing lists, drawing issue sets and specification documents
• Check and quality control of internal and third-party design and fabrication information
• Contribute to the development and maintenance of Xylotek’s design standards, templates and guides.
Salary negotiable. Dependent on circumstances, the position is offered remote or on site at our hub in Bristol, UK
Summary of role requirements:
• A passion for high-quality design and construction
• Knowledge of contemporary timber construction detailing and processes
• A thorough understanding of timber and its possibilities.
• Skilled in Rhino3d and Grasshopper or transferrable CAD skills
• Extensive experience in 2D CAD drawing and 3D modelling
• Fluent English written and spoken
• Highly desirable – Skilled in CadWork
• Desirable – Experience preparing CNC files, BTL and use of tool-pathing software
• Desirable – Experience of scripting languages (Python, VB, etc)
• Desirable – Skilled in Revit, Autocad, CS Suite
• Desirable – Experience of design coordination and document control eg via Aconex or similar platforms
• Excel, spreadsheets, and programmes/Gantt charts
• Desirable – 3+ years in a Timber Designer, draughtsperson or architectural technician role in architecture, engineering or industrial practice
Please send us your CV and portfolio or examples of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org Xylotek is an equal opportunities and diverse employer and encourages applications from ethnic minorities
Job Type: Full-time, Permanent